Monday, December 10, 2007

It's Crunch Time

These very long posters are now everywhere I go. Frankly, there are too many people running for president... I couldn't even get the entire poster in the picture! There are 12 potentials, I believe, but about 9 or 10 of them don't matter anyway- it's still pretty much down to Chung and Lee. From a non-partisan perspective, my money's on Lee. Just watch him win the election. I would still love to be proved wrong, he's too much of a righty for my taste.

Anyways, I would just like to rant a little bit about how the Korean people are royally screwed over by having too many political parties and too many guys running for president. Yeah, everyone has their favourite, yeah, everyone's going to vote for the one they like the most, yeah, democracy is great, yadda yadda yadda. The point of the matter is, there won't be a true majority winner because everyone's votes will be scattered all over the place and while maybe 20% of the population wants one guy to win, there's another 80% that does not want that guy to win. It doesn't seem fair. I know there's the same deal in Canada, but it's on a smaller scale- a larger percentage is guaranteed (not that I'm giving Canadadian political parties a pat on the back; I dislike all of them). Anyway, we'll see what happens in a week when the people go to the polls. At least Lee's name has been cleared (conveniently) in the fraud scandal he was involved in. Sigh. I shouldn't care so much.

No comments: