Monday, October 8, 2007

Norabangin' The Night Away

In Korea, Norabang is more than just a passtime; it's a way of life. Indeed, it seems to represent the whole idea of Korean existence. Why do I say this? I'm not quite sure. There's something about the intimacy and privacy of having your own room to partake in karaoke but knowing that everyone on the outside can still hear every song you sing. Maybe I'm thinking about the way Koreans seem to admire those who can let loose and want to partake in the craziness themselves, but fear public humiliation. Norabang provides anonomimity (unless you go by yourself) and only you and your close friends will know what's going on inside the Norabang room. I think a lot about "Korean logic" and how it differs so much from what Canadians would consider logical- for me, if you want to be out there and crazy you can dance on a bar with a lampshade on your head (note to my parents: I have never done that. Just for the record.) and wake up the next day and be able to laugh about it. In Korea, you go to Norabang where no one can actually see you let loose. I always wonder why it's such a bad thing to be considered different in a country that admires those who aren't afraid to be- it's like living out loud behind closed doors. I guess that's my Norabang philosophy. Regardless of the reason Norabang is so cozy and intimate, it's a great way to spend an evening with your friends:


Kerri is an old hand at Norabang, she's been here for a year already!


Also, she totally went there and broke out the Aqua.


Another Norabang staple: Mariah Carey (You'll Always Be My Baby)


Drew does a surprisingly excellent impression of Eminem. How delightful!

I have videos, but I promised I wouldn't publish them. Other beauties of the night included: Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, All I Want for Christmas is You by (surprise surprise) Mariah Carey and The Rose by Bette Midler (just because Kim wants it played at her and Drew's wedding in March).

The End.

No comments: