Monday, February 11, 2008

Paldalmun...and Che Guevera? Sweet.

As a general rule, an expat in Korea should not enter any basement bars, shops, or any other kind of sub-level establishment without someone with sufficient knowlege as to what you're getting yourself into. I mean, it probably isn't dangerous (it is Korea, after all), but it might just be... shady... and uncomfortable... and you might just make a fool of yourself.

Apparently since Kerri's contract is up in a few weeks she has thrown all caution and any inhibitions to the wind. She and Sam went to Paldalmun Market one day (near the fortress) and they randomly decided to go down into this basement establishment because there was a picture of Che Guevera on the door (in such a situation I probably would have done the same thing, though; I shouldn't judge) and to their delight and surprise they found the coolest left wing coffee shop since... well, probably ever.

Sam took Bernard, Tracy and I there on the first day of Lunar Vacation and we had some excellent coffee (let's just say the barista is generous with the kahlua) and, most importantly, I think I have found the perfect place to hang out. Please check out the photos:


The walls were covered with random notes, different flags from different countries, antique paraphenalia as well as modern paraphenalia...




And of course, several wall plastered devotions to our favourite freedom fighter.


I think the barista was making everything from scratch- there was no automatic espresso machine, no drip coffee machine. Her hard work didn't go unnoticed (and the coffee cups were very cute).


It was a beautiful sunny day in Paldalmun but I also just about froze my bum off. That Siberian wind we apparently get here is killer. Oh, the saddest part of my day was the little puppies for sale outside in cages with nothing but a plastic covering. The were shivering and cuddling close to each other and wimpering. When I protested about their living conditions the woman selling them said to me, in Korean, "you better buy them - they're really cold!" (Bernard told me that's what she said).

Busan Pics tomorrow! I had such a blast!

1 comment:

d2 said...

Hi, I just stumbled on your site from an expat blogging site, and the funny thing is I live near your neighborhood and I used to wonder where all the foreigners came from, or what they were doing in Suwon (I'm a korean american, working for a company near here). Well now I know! haha. Sorry if I sound like a total weirdo, but it was nice to see Suwon/korea through a candian?americans?'s eyes.